Friday, August 29, 2008

Cupid Asleep -- a poem by Aimee DuPre

Cupid Asleep

by Aimee DuPre

I wrote this a long time ago, when I had a different name (ex-marriage), to a picture handed down to me by my grandmother called Cupid Asleep. Google it to see what it looks like.



Cupid asleep, young god of love,
Can you tell me what you dream of?

Fair-skinned maids
And tall, strong lads;
Soft woven braids
In time-worn fads.

Cupid asleep, your fragile bow –
How do you know where arrows go?

On bent knee
Where lovers park
Mischievously
They hit their mark.

Cupid asleep, young sad-faced child,
Were you ever happy and wild?

Days long past
Were filled with joy.
Though times won’t last,
I’ll stay a boy.

Cupid asleep, you’re much too bold.
Will you still be here when I am old?

Endless times
With passion darts,
I strike the minds
Of love-worn hearts.

No comments: