Friday, October 20, 2006

Is Suicide a viable option?

If you are considering suicide, here are some things to think about.

Reasons young people give for considering suicide: [1]

  1. My parents don’t know I’m alive.
  2. I’m not attractive.
  3. My classmates ignore me.
  4. I have no money, no job, no future.
  5. I want to hurt the one who hurt me.
  6. I’m in trouble and there’s no way out.
  7. I hate myself.
  8. Other people commit suicide.
  9. My troubles will never end.
  10. Nobody cares for me.
  11. My troubles are too big to handle.

And some answers:[2]

1. My parents don’t know I’m alive.

It probably often feels that way. Parents worry about money, they have many problems, and of course, they can be selfish. They think that “things” are important and forget to show love to their own children. You need to help them know how you are feeling. Talk to them. Pick a time when they can listen.

2. I’m not attractive.

That could be so, but sometimes we are too hard on ourselves when we look in the mirror. You may think other kids despise you because of your hair or height or skin color, or whatever. It just isn’t so. I know it sounds corny, but beauty is only skin deep. It’s what’s inside that counts. Ugly and handicapped people have succeeded. Go and talk to one of them.

3. My classmates ignore me.

That’s also likely to be true. Most kids – and adults – think of themselves first. Look around and see all the loners. Strange as it may seem, happiness is in serving others. The more you do for others, the less you mope around for yourself.

4. I have no money, no job, no future.

Sure, unemployment is high and money is scarce. But you don’t know the future. Poor people make it to the top. Study. Make yourself useful to someone. Work for low wages or no wages. Make a name for yourself that you are friendly and willing to learn.

5. I want to hurt the one who hurt me.

We all feel that way at times – I will get even! Wouldn’t revenge be great? But to take your life is wrong. Is that really the way you want to come face to face with your Creator? And to repay evil for evil is wrong. God says that vengeance belongs to Him. Anyway, just imagine how much better He could extract revenge than you, if that is in His righteous judgment! Try forgiving. It will amaze you – and the one you forgive.

6. I’m in trouble and there’s no way out.

You may be in trouble, but there is a way out. Drugs, despair and death are not the answers. Talk to a counselor, a minister or preacher, or some adult you trust.

7. I hate myself.

You may have been put down so often that you start believing that you are no good. That’s not true. Don’t believe the lies. You have worth. No one can put a price or a value on the human soul. It is something that will live on for eternity. Nothing can destroy the human soul, not even an atomic explosion. So don’t go blaming yourself for things that are not your fault. Do something worthwhile and see how it changes how you feel about yourself.

8. Other people commit suicide.

Yes, they are, and it really shakes the community. So if you think that committing suicide will draw attention to yourself and teach others a lesson, it will, that’s for sure. But suicide is not the answer. Wait a few days. I truly believe that anyone who is seriously considering suicide as an option is not thinking clearly or wisely. Please talk to someone first.

9. My troubles will never end.

It seems that way right now, but you can pray and God will hear. Once you are out of this life, you can never return. Remember, the soul is eternal. When you die, you will go somewhere. What awaits you in the next life?

10. Nobody cares for me.

It’s a rough and evil world. Even if no one else cares for you, God does. He created you, and He has some purpose for you. God created you for fellowship with Him. Ask Him what you should do.

11. My troubles are too big to handle.

It certainly seems that way sometimes. And the troubles of no two people are exactly alike, so no one can really understand you. But God can! All problems in life are due to sin, and Jesus Christ died on the cross to take away sin. He died so that you can live. Find out about Him. He’s waiting for you.


Is suicide an unpardonable Sin?[3]

No -- not if you are "saved" or a "believer". Here's why.

Whether or not you yourself have ever contemplated suicide, you probably know someone who has considered it. People in such despair may believe they are unloved and life has no purpose; or perhaps they want to escape a painful situation that seems hopeless.

We often don’t realize that individuals around us – even Christians – are struggling with such feelings. Ask God to make your spirit sensitive to needs around you. If a person says, “Sometimes I feel life isn’t worth living,” recognize that this may be a cry for help. You might be the only person he or she feels free to approach. Listen lovingly – genuine love is the greatest cure in the world.

Many wonder if God would forgive suicide. Jesus took on all our sin at the Cross, and His grace covers our worst sins, even in death. But that is a terrible excuse to check out of life – suicide is still rebellion against God’s will. The Lord has created each of us for a great purpose, and we were ransomed at great price!

1 Cor 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

God never turns away anyone who cries out to Him.

John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

He’ll rescue you if you let Him! When you submit to Him, He’ll take you from that pit of destruction and give you security, regardless of how far down you are or strong the quicksand feels.

He is our refuse and strength, “a very present help in trouble” (Psalm 46:1). Not a past help or a future help, but a present help. His awesome power and love can radically transform your life.

If you are "lost" and have not accepted Christ's death on the cross as atonement (or payment) for your sins, then YES -- suicide is the unpardonable sin -- because once you are dead, it is too late for you to accept salvation by faith through grace.




[1] Faith, Prayer & Tract League, Tract No. 213, Grand Rapids, MI 49504-1390

[2] Faith, Prayer & Tract League, Tract No. 213, Grand Rapids, MI 49504-1390

[3] In Touch Magazine, May 2006, In Touch Ministries Inc., P. O. Box 7900, Atlanta, GA 30357 or www.intouch.org or www.charlesstanleyinstitute.com.

No comments: